Plans to repeal an anti-LGBT law in North Carolina failed on Wednesday after state legislators could not agree on how to reform the bill. The legislation, dubbed the House Bill 2, makes it mandatory for individuals who identify as transgender to use the bathroom that matches the gender on their birth certificate. The legislation also blocks legal protection for those who are a part of the LGBT community. After over nine hours of meeting, Republican and Democratic leaders in the state could not devise a concrete plan for a repeal. “We came here to solve a problem that apparently nobody had any clear idea as to how it was going to be solved,” said Senator Daniel T. Blue Jr. The controversial law has sparked several protests and lawsuits since it was implemented. The fight to have the bill repealed will likely spill over into 2017. Read more.
Rashaan Salaam Cause Of Death Revealed
Just days after Heisman trophy-winner Rashaan Salaam, 42, was found dead in a park near his home in Boulder, Colorado, his cause of death has been revealed, reports The New York Times. His death is being investigated as a likely suicide, the report says. Autopsy results are expected in about a month. Read more.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Admits To Using Private E-Mail Address
Hillary Clinton isn’t the only politician that has found herself in the midst of an e-mail scandal. On Wednesday, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel admitted that he used a personal e-mail address for business matters. His confession comes after he settled a lawsuit with the Better Government Association. The group took legal action against Mayor Emanuel requesting full disclosure of unreleased material under the Freedom of Information Act. Under the settlement, Emanuel released 2,700 pages of e-mails. “I’m pleased that we were able to come to a reasonable agreement with the Better Government Association today to ensure that transparency keeps up with technology and the realities of modern communication,” he said in a statement. Read more.
Actress Viola Davis To Get A Star On The Hollywood Walk Of Fame
Actress Viola Davis has hit a major milestone in her career. According to reports, Davis will receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. “Viola is one of the actresses who always mesmerize fans with her talent. She is amazing and we are thrilled that she will grace our world famous Hollywood Walk of Fame,” said Ana Martinez, producer for the Walk of Fame, in a statement. She will become the first star of 2017 to be added to the Walk of Fame. Davis’ induction ceremony is slated to take place on January 5 at 11:30 AM PST. Read more.
Detroit Street Renamed In Stevie Wonder’s Honor
Legendary singer Stevie Wonder had a full circle moment in Detroit on Wednesday when the musician had a street named in his honor. A part of Woodward Avenue near downtown Detroit was renamed “Stevie Wonder Avenue.” Mayor Mike Duggan, other local politicians, and fans gathered for the unveiling of the new street name. “We are on a journey,” said Wonder. “When I think about this street, now being Stevie Wonder Avenue, I want all of us to walk down the street that leads us to a place of humanity and equality, of fairness and respect for each other.” During his days at Motown, Wonder resided in Detroit, just a mile away from the record label’s headquarters. “Naming this street in his honor is reflective of the profound impact that he has had on both the city of Detroit and Motown’s legacy,” said Robin Terry, Motown Museum chairwoman and CEO. Read more.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
NEWS ROUNDUP: North Carolina Legislators Fail To Repeal Anti-LGBT Bill…AND MORE was originally published on newsone.com