Ohio prosecutors said Tuesday they will not seek a third retrial for a White ex-University of Cincinnati police officer charged in the fatal shooting of Sam DuBose, an unarmed Black motorist who died when a traffic stop went awry, Reuters reports.
The first trial for Ray Tensing, who was charged with murder and voluntary manslaughter in the 2015 shooting, ended in a mistrial in November. Last month, a retrial ended in another mistrial,
The case began in July 2015 when Tensing, 27, stopped DuBose, 43, for missing a license plate on the front of his car. Tensing claims DuBose then tried to escape by driving off and dragging him, prompting him to use deadly force. But body camera footage fails to support that narrative. Instead it shows the officer firing one shot that struck DuBose in the head.
DuBose’s death sparked protests and nationwide conversations about the use of deadly force by law enforcement against people of color. But trial outcomes in DuBose’s case have blunted hopes for justice, disappointing his family, the report notes.
But Hamilton County Prosecutor Joseph Deters told reporters Tuesday that Black and White jurors told him, “We will never get a conviction in this case.” He did not provide details about sticking points.
Tensing’s case has been turned over to the U.S. attorney’s office for a potential civil rights violation, where federal prosecutors could “potentially present evidence of racial profiling that was prohibited by a judge during the most recent trial,” NBC News reports.
Justice For…A List Of People Killed By Police In 2014 (PHOTOS)
1. Jordan Baker, 26, Killed January 2014 In Texas1 of 20
2. McKenzie Cochran, 25, Killed January 2014 In Detroit2 of 20
3. Keith Vidal, 18, Killed January 2014 In North Carolina3 of 20
4. Yvette Smith, 47, Killed February 2014 In Texas4 of 20
5. Victor White III, 22, Killed March 2014 In Louisiana5 of 20
6. Dontre Hamilton, 31, Killed April 2014 In Milwaukee6 of 20
7. Jason Harrison, 28, Killed June 2014 In Texas7 of 20
8. Eric Garner, 43, Killed July 2014 In NYC8 of 20
9. Ezell Ford, Killed August 2014 In California9 of 20
10. Dante Parker, 36, Killed August 2014 In California10 of 20
11. Kajieme Powell, 25, Killed August 2014 In St. Louis11 of 20
12. Omar Abrego, 37, Killed August 2014 In California12 of 20
13. Maria Godinez, 22, Killed August 2014 In Orlando13 of 20
14. Michael Brown Jr., 18, Killed August 2014 in Ferguson, Mo.14 of 20
15. Darrien Hunt, 22, Killed September 2014 In Utah15 of 20
16. Jack Jacquez, 27, Killed November 2014 In Colorado16 of 20
17. Tamir Rice, 12, Killed November 2014 In Ohio17 of 20
18. Akai Gurley, 28, Killed November 2014 In NYC18 of 20
19. Tanesha Anderson, 37, Killed November 2014 In Cleveland19 of 20
20. Rumain Brisbon, 34, Killed December 2014 In Arizona20 of 20
Ex-Ohio Cop Will Not Face Third Retrial In Sam DuBose Death was originally published on newsone.com