The watchdog inspector assigned to oversee the Department of Justice announced plans to launch an investigation into the FBI’s handling of Hillary Clinton’s private email server on Thursday, the Huffington Post reports.
Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz verified the probe was launched at the urging of congressional members, several organizations, and members of the public, the Post writes.
The decision comes months after public outcry over FBI Director James Comey’s announcement the department was relaunching an investigation into the matter, then subsequently following up again with a recommendation not to charge Clinton in the email probe. Comey’s decision to announce the investigation received much pushback, especially since it was made weeks before the 2016 election.
According to CNN, Horowitz’s office will examine several allegations,”including that DOJ or FBI policies were not followed when FBI Director James Comey publicly stated last July that his bureau would not pursue criminal charges against Clinton; that DOJ and FBI employees improperly disclosed non-public information; and that the timing of the FBI’s release of certain Freedom of Information Act requests right before the election was improper,” the outlet reports.
The White House said they were not involved in the matter and Clinton’s office has not yet released a statement regarding the announcement, CNN reports.
Hillary Clinton's Pantsuit Evolution (PHOTOS)
1. Hillary Clinton's Pantsuit EvolutionSource:Getty 1 of 21
2. African Methodist Episcopal Baptist Church (1993)Source:Getty 2 of 21
3. United Foundry Methodist Church (1994)Source:Getty 3 of 21
4. The First Family (1994)Source:Getty 4 of 21
5. Foundry Methodist Church (1996)Source:Getty 5 of 21
6. White House (1998)Source:Getty 6 of 21
7. The Tonight Show (2000)Source:Getty 7 of 21
8. U.S. Open (2001)Source:Getty 8 of 21
9. Lower Manhattan Cultural Council Event (2005)Source:Getty 9 of 21
10. Campaigning at Drake University (2007)Source:Getty 10 of 21
11. Democratic National Convention (2008)Source:Getty 11 of 21
12. Rally in Raliegh (2008)Source:Getty 12 of 21
13. Rally at Don Haskins Arena at UTEP University (2008Source:Getty 13 of 21
14. Campaigning in Louisville, Kentucky (2016)Source:Getty 14 of 21
15. Campaigning in Bowling Green, Kentucky (2016)Source:Getty 15 of 21
16. NYC Gay Pride (2016)Source:Getty 16 of 21
17. Campaigning in Charlotte, North Carolina (2016)Source:Getty 17 of 21
18. Campaign Rally Portsmouth High School (2016)Source:Getty 18 of 21
19. Campaign Rally at the Florida International University Panther Arena (2016)Source:Getty 19 of 21
20. 2016 Democratic National Contention (2016)Source:Getty 20 of 21
21. Democratic National Contention (2016)Source:Getty 21 of 21
DOJ Watchdog Will Probe FBI’s Handling Of Clinton Email Server Investigation was originally published on newsone.com