Remember that congressman who yelled “you lie” to former President Barack Obama while he gave a speech to a joint session of Congress?
The New York Times reports that Rep. Joe Wilson, a South Carolina Republican, had his own words thrown back at him during a contentious town hall meeting on Monday.
An already heated gathering reached a boiling point when Wilson answered an Obamacare question. Wilson said Obama’s health care law was delaying and denying services, and that’s when the audience erupted in a chorus of “you lie.”
Although the Republicans now control Congress and the White House, they have been unable to keep their promise to replace Obamacare with a better system. Some GOP lawmakers have not scheduled town halls during their Easter recess over fear of facing angry constituents back home.
“People feel really let down by Joe Wilson, and there’s a lot of really high emotion when it comes to him,” Julie Edwards, a local pharmacist who is part of a Democratic grass-roots movement, told The Times. “A lot of it comes down to disrespecting President Barack Obama. Even a lot of Republicans in our state were facepalming over that.”
Wilson’s spokeswoman, Leacy Burke, downplayed the incident. She told the newspaper that the chant lasted less than a minute in an otherwise “positive event that lasted nearly two hours.”
That’s a comforting spin for the Republicans. The reality is that some GOP lawmakers fear for their safety at town halls.
Politico reported that House Republicans held a closed-door meeting in February to discuss safety measures for themselves and staff when they face constituents who are concerned about the repeal Obamacare.
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14 of 14
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."— BrooklynDad_Defiant! (@mmpadellan) February 18, 2019
-- President Barack Obama
Happy #PresidentsDay, Mr. President! We ❤️ you!@BarackObama pic.twitter.com/xhQEb4OG1U
Congressman Who Disrespected Obama By Yelling ‘You Lie’ Hears Same Words From Irate Constituents was originally published on newsone.com