A Brooklyn, New York man demands full justice, more than three years after a brutal attack that left him blind in one eye.
Taj Patterson’s lawyer accuses the prosecutor of failing to indict one of the attackers because his family has political ties, the New York Daily News reports.
In December 2013, at least a dozen Hasidic Jewish men attacked Patterson, who’s a gay African-American man, while he was walking through their neighborhood at about 4:30 a.m.
Prosecutors charged five men for the assault. Charges against two of them, however, were dismissed because witnesses later said they misidentified them. Two others pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of unlawful imprisonment. The fifth man, Mayer Herskovic, was found guilty in September 2016 and faces up to 15 years for his involvement in the beating.
Patterson’s lawyer, Andrew Stoll, told the Daily News that the Brooklyn district attorney’s office has failed to indict Yoelli “Joel” Itzkowitz, another man involved in the attack, because Itzkowitz’s brother is politically-connected.
“One token felony conviction does not placate Taj and his family, when one of the primary assailants remains protected for corrupt, political, and frankly, racial reasons,” Stoll told the newspaper.
The Daily News said a witness and a police detective testified at Herskovic’s trial that Itzkowitz was one of the attackers. The detective’s testimony was based on surveillance video.
Despite that evidence, the prosecutor has not questioned Itzkowitz, who the newspaper identified as a member of the Shomrim, a Hasidic neighborhood watch group that serves Orthodox Jewish communities across the city.
Stoll told the news outlet that he has written twice to the district attorney, but there has been no response.
“We can only conclude that this DA’s office remains unwilling to grant equal access to justice to all Brooklyn communities,” he stated.
The newspaper said the prosecutor’s office declined to comment on the case.
SOURCE: New York Daily News
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Prosecutor Protecting Man In Apparent Racially-Motivated Attack, Lawyer Says was originally published on newsone.com