Three men living on the streets of East Harlem will divide $1,515 in compensation from New York City for police officers and sanitation works destroying their property, the New York Daily News reports.
Mayor Bill de Blasio’s administration agreed on Wednesday to settle a pending lawsuit drafted by the New York Civil Liberties Union on behalf of the homeless men.
“Homeless people deserve to be treated with dignity like all New Yorkers, and the city acknowledged that it had no right to treat their few possessions like garbage,” NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman said in a statement.
The NYCLU obtained a video of the October 2015 incident. It shows the men sleeping at night under an overhang at the Choir Academy Public School near E.127th St. when police officers and sanitation workers ordered them to leave.
They were putting their meager belongings together when the sanitation workers snatched the men’s belongings and threw them into a garbage truck. The destroyed items included birth certificates, blood pressure medication and Social Security cards.
Floyd Parks, 61, told reporters at a press conference Wednesday that he was the victim of “an atrocity.”
“It bothers me that this is happening,” Parks said. “Thank God for cameras. It showed the abuse that they had done to us.”
City officials were initially unmoved when the civil liberties organization complained about the incident. The Daily News said the mayor’s spokeswoman said the men were trespassing on city property.
SOURCE: New York Daily News
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
New York City Agrees To Compensate Homeless Men In Harlem For Trashing Their Possessions was originally published on newsone.com