Edwin Brown has served three years behind bars for suspected drug and weapon charges. On February 5, he was scheduled to go on trial, but he was surprisingly offered a plea deal. According to The Chicago Tribune, “[Brown] pleaded guilty on Feb. 1 to possessing heroin with intent to deliver in return for prosecutors dropping a gun charge. ” Why was he offered a plea deal? U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman said he was “troubled” that Brown, 26, had been “over-served.” In addition, racist Facebook posts were uncovered from the cop who arrested him.
Sean Najm, one of the arresting officers, worked in a predominantly Black area of Chicago, yet The Chicago Tribune reports, “Najm’s wife had posted ‘disturbing’ white supremacist propaganda on social media. One showed Najm wearing a leather vest with the messages, ‘I only speak English’ and ‘I’m here to f— s— up’” and there were other photos of Najm wearing a Confederate Flag patch. Najm tried to argue none of this was racist because “he wears a Confederate flag patch because he was born and raised in the South. The officer considers the flag a symbol of a rebel, not a racist, prosecutors said.”
In addition, says the newspaper, “Najm noted that he is of Lebanese descent and his wife of 18 years identifies herself as a Black Puerto Rican.” As if him being Lebanese would make it impossible for him to wrongfully or overcharge a young Black man.
Edwin Brown could have served much more jail time, but he was sentenced to 18 months and three years of court supervision.
Sean Najm is still a police officer, despite the obvious. The lesson here: birds of a racist feather flock together.
Meet All The Black People Competing In The 2018 Winter Olympics
1. Aja Evans, Team USASource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Elana Meyers Taylor, Team USASource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Hakeem Abdul-Saboor, Team USASource: 3 of 14
4. Chris Kinney, Team USASource: 4 of 14
5. Jordan Greenway, Team USASource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Erin Jackson, Team USASource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Shani Davis, Team USASource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Maame Biney, Team USASource:Getty 8 of 14
9. Kimani Griffin, Team USASource:Getty 9 of 14
10. Sabrina Wanjiku, KenyaSource: 10 of 14
11. Jazmine Fenlator-Victorian and Carrie Russell, JamaicaSource:Getty 11 of 14
12. Akwasi Frimpong, GhanaSource: 12 of 14
Man Receives Plea Deal After The Arresting Officer Is Exposed As A Racist On Facebook was originally published on newsone.com