Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump took part in the Commander-in-Chief’s Forum, hosted by NBC News’ Matt Lauer, on Wednesday night. The discussion focused on how the two presidential candidates would address issues of national security and allowed them to explain their respective approaches to foreign policy.
Retired U.S. Army General John Hawkins, III spoke with Roland Martin on NewsOne Now about Clinton and Trump’s proposed approaches to national security, as well as detailed who he believes would be a better Commander-in-Chief.
Hawkins told Martin, “I think the answers given by candidate Clinton were very substantive and offered potential for a verifiable plan to do something about our current situation involving terrorism and other international issues.”
As for Trump, Hawkins shared his “statements were more general in nature and often not actually to the point of offering solutions.”
Throughout last night’s Commander-in-Chief Forum, Trump dodged questions and gave few specifics on his approach to national security and foreign affairs. However, the Republican presidential candidate did praise Russian President Vladimir Putin.
As it relates to the Iraq War and Trump’s comments alluding to the removal of America’s military generals, Hawkins said, “You have to grow general officers and admirals; you do not go out and hire one.
“Growing them requires that they have a certain amount of experience from the lower levels all the way up, which hopefully would be the situation for the next Commander-in-Chief.”
He added, “It’s not enough to come from an area totally different than government service and assume that you can fix everything.”
Trump’s comments about military generals being “reduced to rubble” is “close to rubbish,” he said.
NewsOne Now panelist Kristen Clarke also expressed concern over Trump’s lack of specifics: “Last night, people were listening in. There are so many undecided voters out there and now is the time for the candidates to put forth the details describing their positions on these important issues.”
Unfortunately, Trump has consistently offered little-to-no details regarding what he would do if elected to the highest office in the land.
Watch Roland Martin, Ret. Gen. John Hawkins, III, and the NewsOne Now panel recap the Commander-in-Chief Forum in the video clip above.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
RNC 2016 - Supporters & Anti-Trump Groups Take To The Streets
1. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 1 of 21
2. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 2 of 21
3. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 3 of 21
4. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 4 of 21
5. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 5 of 21
6. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 6 of 21
7. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 7 of 21
8. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 8 of 21
9. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 9 of 21
10. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 10 of 21
11. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 11 of 21
12. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 12 of 21
13. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 13 of 21
14. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 14 of 21
15. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 15 of 21
16. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 16 of 21
17. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 17 of 21
18. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 18 of 21
19. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 19 of 21
20. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 20 of 21
21. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 21 of 21
Retired Army General Slams Trump For National Security & Foreign Policy Comments was originally published on newsone.com