St. Louis County police on Sunday shot and critically wounded a man who allegedly fired at them in Ferguson following peaceful protests on the one-year anniversary of the death of Michael Brown, whose shooting touched off global protests against police violence in the U.S.
The Washington Post reports that the incident occurred just before midnight, when the man was shot after opening fire on an unmarked police SUV. St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said police had been tracking the man before gunfire rang out. The chief, speaking at an overnight news conference, did not identify the man or the officers involved in the shooting. But the victim’s father identified him in some media reports.
From The Post:
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Tyrone Harris Sr. identified the victim as his 18-year-old son, Tyrone Harris Jr., of St. Louis. Harris said his son had come out of surgery and noted that the teen and Michael Brown “were real close,” having both attended Normandy High School…
“There is a small group of people out there who are intent on making sure we don’t have peace that prevails,” Belmar said. “That’s unfortunate. Because even with the folks who were in the street last night, there were a lot of emotions, I get it. But this is something different.”
Ferguson protester Tony Rice, known for his tweets about events in the city, captured the shooting on video.
The incident came about after groups of young men broke into storefronts along West Florissant, the Post writes.
St. Louis Alderman Antonio French — a well-known face on the streets of Ferguson since Brown’s death — said that, when night fell, things got chaotic. Reached by telephone, French said that prior to the shooting, he saw signs of looting and violence, including a newspaper reporter from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch who had been beaten and robbed, and a broken window at a local business.
Earlier in the day, hundreds had gathered to participate in vigils and silent marches in Brown’s memory.
SOURCE: The Washington Post | PHOTO CREDIT: Twitter
Snapshots In Ferguson: Waiting For Justice
1. Boarding Up The CourthouseSource:Getty 1 of 15
2. QuikTrip PreparesSource:Getty 2 of 15
3. Don't ShootSource:Getty 3 of 15
4. Taping Up The MailboxesSource:Getty 4 of 15
5. We Will Not Be SilentSource:Scott Olson/Getty Images 5 of 15
6. 101 DaysSource:Scott Olson/Getty Images 6 of 15
7. Demonstrators PersistSource:Scott Olson/Getty Images 7 of 15
8. Police Line Up8 of 15
9. Police Line Face OffSource:Michael B. Thomas/Getty 9 of 15
10. Chief Of Police SpeaksSource:Scott Olson/Getty Images 10 of 15
11. Mike Brown MemorialSource:Sebastiano Tomada/Getty Images 11 of 15
12. Demonstrations ContinueSource:Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images 12 of 15
13. The Push Forward ProjectSource:Scott Olson/Getty 13 of 15
14. Michael Brown's MotherSource:Scott Olson/Getty Images 14 of 15
15. Evening VigilSource:Scott Olson 15 of 15
Police Shoot Man In Ferguson After He Allegedly Fired At Officers During Anniversary Protests was originally published on newsone.com