D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser announced the appointment of Pamela Smith as the next Chief of Police. Smith holds the distinction of being the first African American to assume this role in the history of the MPD. With an impressive 25 years of law enforcement experience, she most recently served as the Assistant Chief of Police in the Homeland Security Bureau.
Before that, Smith made significant contributions as the MPD’s Chief Equity Officer, emphasizing diversity, equity, and inclusion within the department. Her career began in 1998 with the United States Park Police in San Francisco, and she has since served in New York and Atlanta.
This appointment follows the retirement of former D.C. Police Chief Robert J. Contee in May, during which time Ashan Benedict acted as the interim police chief. In June, Mayor Bowser sought community input through a survey to determine the priorities for the next police chief.
- Dominos To Offer Free Pizza To Folks With Student Loans
- What Is The Most Popular Halloween Candy in The DMV?
- Teen Charged In Morgan State University Campus Shooting, Second Suspect Identified
- Morgan State University Cancels Homecoming Activities For The Time In History & Classes For The Remainder Of The Week
- Chaos Erupts At Parkdale High School Dispute Turns Physical
- Judge Terminates Conservatorship Between Michael Oher & Tuohy Family
- Baltimore Orioles Legend Brooks Robinson Dies At 86
- Ravens Running Back J.K. Dobbins To Miss Rest Of Season With Torn Achilles
- Howard University Enhances Security Measures Following Assault On 4 Students
- Dunkin’ Officially Rolls Out Fall Flavors!
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
Students At Kansas High School Stage Walkout After Viral Video Shows Black Teen Suffer Racist Attack
WJZ News Anchor Fired After On-Air Racially Insensitive Remark
The Inner Harbor Ice Rink Has Returned
Wheel Of Fortune LIVE Is Coming To Baltimore In 2024
Here’s How You Could Get A Free Lyft Ride In Maryland This Holiday Season
The Maryland Zoo Will No Longer Offer ZooLights
Texas Attorney Arrested For Allegedly Smuggling Ecstasy-Laced Paperwork To Inmates
Jail Justice: Social Media Memes Mock Derek Chauvin After George Floyd’s Murderer Stabbed In Prison