An attorney representing the family of a Bronx, New York student who survived a deadly stabbing attack said on Sunday that he will file a lawsuit, the New York Daily News reports.
“My client and his family are completely devastated by this tragedy that could have and should have been prevented,” attorney Matthew Blit said in a statement, according to the newspaper.
Many have complained about a lack of metal detectors at the Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Conservation, located in the Bronx. Blit added that his client, Ariane LaBoy, and the other classroom “are extremely lucky to be alive today.”
LaBoy, 16, was in a coma for two days after 18-year-old Abel Cedeno stabbed him and LaBoy’s friend, 15-year-old Matthew McCree, on Wednesday. McCree died from his injuries.
Cedeno, who was charged on Thursday with murder and attempted murder, told the Daily News in an interview from Rikers Island jail complex that he “just snapped.”
The bisexual teen said he did not go to school with the intention of stabbing anyone with a switch blade he obtained two weeks before the incident.
“I didn’t mean to kill him,” he told the newspaper. “I wanted to scare him.”
Classmates had bullied Cedeno since the beginning of the school year. The police said LeBoy and McCree teased him for the first time on Wednesday during a history class. The two boys threw pencils at Cedeno and hurled homophobic slurs.
“They bully me because I’m different,” Cedeno said, adding that classmates began taunting him since middle school when they would call him a “fa**ot” and slam him into hallway lockers. “I’m not like the other guys. My voice is higher.”
Cedeno is on suicide watch.
SOURCE: New York Daily News
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Student Stabbed By Bullied Bisexual Classmate To File Lawsuit was originally published on newsone.com