Another police shooting raises disturbing questions about a lack of police training in how to deal with mentally ill suspects.
According to the newspaper, New York City Police Officer Miguel Gonzalez fatally fired five shots at Dwayne Jeune in the apartment Jeune, 32, shared with his parent. Officers had fired a Taser at the man, which failed to stop him as he rushed at them with a 10-inch knife.
DNA Info reported that Gonzalez was the only responding officer who did not receive training on handling emotionally disturbed people. This is particularly troublesome because he previously fired his weapon in a similar situation.
The Post identified Gonzalez as the officer who shot and wounded Davonte Pressley in October.
Officers had responded to a call about a man with a knife and gun outside a Brooklyn laundromat, the New York Daily News reported. Pressley lunged at them with the knife, and the officer shot him three times in the chest.
According to The Post, Pressley, 23, called 911 to report himself as the man with the weapons, in a failed attempt to commit “suicide by cop.”
Here’s what some are saying on social media:
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
NYPD Cop Reportedly Shot Another Emotionally Disturbed Person Last Year was originally published on newsone.com