Earlier this week President Trump declined an invitation to address the annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).
According to Reuters, the White House wouldn’t elaborate on why #45 won’t speak at the 108-year-old civil rights group’s conference, however WH spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said that the administration would like to talk to the group in the future.
“We would certainly like to be able to continue to do that,” Sanders said.
This isn’t the first time that Trump has said no to the NAACP. He was invited last year, but the group’s conference was held at the same time as the Republican National Convention.
Reuters points out that Trump’s most recent WH predecessors, Barack Obama, a Democrat, and George W. Bush, a Republican, both delivered speeches to the NAACP during their time in office.
Now we’re not sure what Trump would have said to the crowd had he accepted, but given his past, we’re sure it would have been problematic.
As I previously wrote,Trump is the same man, who without an ounce of proof, tweeted that former President Obama” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”>President Obama illegally wiretapped his phones during the campaign. The same man who treated a Black reporter like she was “the help” by asking her to schedule a meeting between his people and the Congressional Black Caucus. And still the same man whose Muslim ban coincidently doesn’t include any of the Muslim countries that his businesses are linked to.
And then there was that time when he thought that Frederick Douglass was still alive.
But let’s not forget the incompetent folks in #45’s administration who call African slaves immigrants; reference HBCUs as “pioneers” of school choice; swear that programs such as Meals on Wheels don’t really work; and say with a straight face that Obama could have spied on Trump through a microwave. Or the white supremacists he’s surrounding himself with and how their dangerous beliefs and policies are going to negatively impact people of color in this country.
This is also a president who believes that African-Americans all “live in hell.” So Perhaps Trump is doing the NAACP a huge favor.
This year’s NAACP convention begins Saturday in Baltimore.
The Best & Worst Looks From The NAACP Image Awards
1. Kerry WashingtonSource: 1 of 27
2. Denzel WashingtonSource: 2 of 27
3. Regina KingSource: 3 of 27
4. Sierra McClainSource: 4 of 27
5. Yara ShahidiSource: 5 of 27
6. Tracee Ellis RossSource: 6 of 27
7. Terrence Howard and his wifeSource: 7 of 27
8. Joseph Sikora, Naturi Naughton & Omari HardwickSource: 8 of 27
9. John LegendSource: 9 of 27
10. Joe MortonSource: 10 of 27
11. Jay EllisSource: 11 of 27
12. Iyanla Van ZantSource: 12 of 27
13. Joseph SikoraSource: 13 of 27
14. Gaborey SidibeSource: 14 of 27
15.Source: 15 of 27
16. Erica AshSource: 16 of 27
17. Chloe and HalleSource: 17 of 27
18. Bryshere GraySource: 18 of 27
19. Bre-ZSource: 19 of 27
20. Jurnee and Jussie Smollett BellSource: 20 of 27
21. Keesha SharpSource: 21 of 27
22. Laurence FishburneSource: 22 of 27
23. LeToya LuckettSource: 23 of 27
24. Lynn WhitfieldSource: 24 of 27
25. The cast of ‘The Real’Source: 25 of 27
26. Andra DaySource: 26 of 27
27. Taraji P. HensonSource: 27 of 27
Trump Declines Invite to NAACP National Conference was originally published on hellobeautiful.com