During an interview on Fox Sports’ “Speak for Yourself,” Vick said the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback needs to shed his Afro for a “clean-cut” style, or even cornrows, to get a job, the New York Daily News reports.
You may recall that Kaepernick was allegedly blackballed by the NFL after taking a stance against police brutality and refusing to stand for the National Anthem.
Vick said, “First thing we’ve got to get Colin to do is cut his hair. Listen, I’m not up here to try to be politically correct. Even if he puts cornrows in there. I don’t think he should represent himself in that way. Just the hairstyle. Just go clean-cut. You know, why not? You’re already dealing with a lot.”
Vick’s comments are shocking to some fans, since he’s a Black man in America whose natural, untamed hair grows into an Afro just like Colin’s.
However, the former Atlanta Falcons star said people advised him during his own career to adopt a professional look, but he didn’t listen until the end of his playing days. Vick also said he realized he needed to clean up his image if he wanted a second chance in the NFL, after serving a prison sentence for financing a dog fighting ring and for involvement in the killing some dogs.
Nonetheless, Colin Kaepernick rocking a ‘fro is bigger than football — it’s for the culture. Do you agree with Mike Vick’s comments?
SOURCE: New York Daily News
From Maé Bérénice Méité To Jesse Owens: 18 Iconic Olympic Fashion Moments
1. Maé Bérénice Méité, 2018 Winter OlympicsSource:Getty 1 of 18
2. Pita Taufatofua, Also Known As The Tonga Guy, 2016/2018Source: 2 of 18
3. James Harden, LeBron James, 2012 London OlympicsSource:Getty 3 of 18
4. Kobe, Carmelo, and Dwyane, 2008 Beijing OlympicsSource:Getty 4 of 18
5. Michael Jordan, 1992 Barcelona OlympicsSource:Getty 5 of 18
6. Meldrick Taylor, 1984 Los Angeles OlympicsSource:Getty 6 of 18
7. Sydney 2000Source:Getty 7 of 18
8. Nagano 1998Source:Getty 8 of 18
9. Atlanta 1996Source:Getty 9 of 18
10. Montreal 1976Source:Getty 10 of 18
11. Mexico City 1968Source:Getty 11 of 18
12. Innsbruck 1964Source:Getty 12 of 18
13. London 1948Source:Getty 13 of 18
14. Dominique Dawes, 1996 Atlanta OlympicsSource:Getty 14 of 18
15. Barbie Honors Ibtihaj Muhammad With One-Of-A-Kind Doll, 2016 Rio OlympicsSource:WENN 15 of 18
16. Usain Bolt, 2016 Rio OlympicsSource:WENN 16 of 18
17. Simone Biles, 2016 Rio OlympicsSource:Getty 17 of 18
18. Jesse Owens At The 1936 Olympic Games In BerlinSource:Getty 18 of 18
Michael Vick Advises Colin Kaepernick To Cut His Afro was originally published on newsone.com